Lectures & Guest speakers
The Geneva School of Diplomacy & International Relations is committed to bridging the gap between theory and practice in the field of International Relations. In addition to GSD’s international relations courses given by our renowned faculty, serving Ambassadors and other members of the diplomatic neighbourhood, representatives from the International Organisations as well as high-level experts on cutting edge issues are regularly invited to share their invaluable knowledge and experience with the students.
Schedule for Academic Year 2017 – 2018, Fall Semester
The 2017-2018 Issues & Challenges (I&C) lectures & events will commence in our fall semester. Classes will resume on Monday 4 September 2017 and our I&C sessions will start on Wednesday September 6, 2017.
- Wednesday 6 September 2017, 14h00 – 16h00: Mr. Jörn Erbguth, Independent Consultant in Legal Tech, PhD-candidate at the UNIGE, former CTO at Swisslex AG, about: ‘From E-Government and Digital State to Distributed Virtual Nations‘
- Wednesday 20 September 2017, 14h00 – 16h00: Mr. Diego Gilardoni, Author, Journalist, and International Business Consultant with his Book Presentation: “Decoding China: cross-cultural strategies for successful business with the Chinese”
- Wednesday 4 October 2017, 14h00 – 16h00: Mr. Mark Smitham, Manager of Cybersecurity Policy EU Government Affairs MICROSOFT, Brussels, Belgium about: ‘Cyberscurity‘
- Friday 3 November 2017: 12h00 – 14h00: Dr. Reza Hasmath, Professor in Political Science at the University of Alberta about: ‘Chinese NGOs’ Strategies for Navigating the Domestic and International Environment’
- Wednesday 15 November 2017, 14h00 – 16h00: Lawrence Fioretta, Senior Communications Officer Strategic Communications Section, UNHCR about: ‘Emerging Issues in Refugee Protection’
- Friday 17 November 2017: 10h00 – 12h00: Mal Berisha, Former Ambassador of Albania to the United Kingdom: ”Soft power as a tool of public diplomacy: My 1358 days in London”
- Wednesday 29 November 2017, 14h00 – 16h00: His Excellency Ambassador Farukh Amil, Ambassador of Pakistan to the United Nations and other International Organisations in Geneva. Last I&C of fall 2017 semester.
If you would like to join lecture(s) held at GSD, please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will make sure a place is reserved for you.
The Issues & Challenges Lectures of Spring 2017
- Wednesday 8 February 2017 (2 – 4 pm): Mr. Michael Moller, Director General of the UNOG on ‘Today’s Global Challenges and the role of the UN‘
- Wednesday 22 February 2017 (2 – 4 pm): Mr. Michel Jarraud, Secretary General Emeritus of the World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) on ‘Implementing the Paris climate agreement: the governance challenge’
- Tuesday 28 February 2017 (12.30 – 2 pm): Mr. Maurizio Bona, Advisor to the Director-General of the European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN) on ‘Science for Peace in Diplomacy’
- Wednesday 8 March 2017 (2 – 4 pm): Ms. Maria Luz Vega Ruiz, Coordinator of the Future of Work Initiative, the International Labour Organisation (ILO) about ‘ILO at its centenary: time to discuss the Future of Work’
- Friday 10 March 2017 (13.30 -3pm): Mr. Nick Sacha, Professor at SUMAS about Sustainable Development Goals
- Wednesday 22 March 2017 (2 – 4 pm): Mr. Xavier Colin, Editorial Producer & Presenter, Geopolitics Magazine, RTS & TV5Monde about ‘Media and Current Geopolitical Challenges’
- Tuesday 28 March (12h30 – 14h00 pm): Mr. Jan Hoffmann, Chief, Trade Logistics Branch Division on Technology and Logistics, UNCTAD about ‘Trade Facilitation and Development: Implications of the TFA’
- Friday 31 March 2017 (1.30 – 3 pm): Mr. Luis Enrique Chavez Basagoitia, Ambassador of Peru about ‘“Indigenous people Rights in Latin America”
- Wednesday 19 April 2017 (2 – 4 pm): H.E. Mr. Andrés FRANCO, Deputy Director, Private Sector Engagement, the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) about: “Are Business Contributions Over-rated for Social Change?”
- Tuesday 2 May 2017 (12h30 – 14h00): Mr. Francis Gurry, Director General of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) on ‘Intellectual Property and the Knowledge Economy”
- Tuesday 16 May 2017 (12.30-2 pm) Dr. Seth Berkley, CEO of GAVI The Vaccine Alliance
- Wednesday 7 September 2016: Mr. Philipp Häsler, Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs on ‘Switzerland’s participation in the Partnership for Peace‘
- Wednesday 21 September 2016: Mr. Alexander Likhotal, President, Green Cross International on ‘Democracy for the 21st Century‘
- Wednesday 5 October 2016: Mr. Yves Daccord, General Director of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) on ‘Present and future humanitarian challenges‘
- Wednesday 19 October 2016: Mr. Jean-Marc Falter, Member of the Senior Management/Delegate for Regional Economic Relations of the Swiss National Bank on ‘Current challenges of monetary policy: The Swiss case‘
- Wednesday 2 November 2016: Ambassador Lucija Ljubic, Ambassador and Permanent Representative of the Bosnia and Herzegovina to the UN Office and other International Organisations in Geneva on ‘Country study: Bosnia and Herzegovina‘
- Wednesday 16 November 2016: Ms. Arancha Gonzalez, Executive Director, The International Trade Center (ITC) on ‘How ITC is addressing the refugee crisis‘
- Wednesday 30 November 2016: Ambassador William Lacy Swing, Director General of the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) on ‘Orderly Migration in a Disorderly World‘