Ambassador Girardin is holder of a Doctorate in Theology from University of Geneva in 1977 and joined the Swiss Foreign Affairs Ministry in 1982.
His main postings have been Cameroon, Pakistan and Romania as National Director of the Swiss Development Cooperation Agency, then in Madagascar as Ambassador (2003-2008). He has gained a wide experience not only in governance related issues, but also on policy dialogue on specific sectors such as human rights, small enterprises promotion, micro-credit and micro-leasing. On top of that he has been in charge of evaluation of development strategies as well.
Now retired, he focuses his research in the domain of political ethics, systems and governance. He has launched a working group on Globethics website, which issued a Declaration cum Rationale. He had also the opportunity to deliver series of lectures at University of Rajasthan in 2010 and at Catholic University of Madagascar in 2009. At present he is preparing a handbook on Ethics in Politics.
He is a member of International Network on Ethical Governance, Globethics.net and the Swiss Evaluators’ Society.
- Ethics, Political Philosophy and International Relations
- Political Ethics
- Governance – Decentralization Processes and Power-sharing Mechanisms
- Leadership and Management. Time and Stress Management
- Evaluation, Controlling, Monitoring: Methodologies
- Global ethics in politics: why it matters more than ever and how it can make a difference. A Declaration, with Osvaldo Agatiello and Sangeeta Sharma,www.Globethics.net , 2010.- translated in Chinese, Spanish, French.
- Global ethics in politics: why it matters more than ever and how it can make a difference. Rationale, with Osvaldo Agatiello and Sangeeta Sharma,www.Globethics.net , 2010.
- “Language Setting the Stage for Diplomacy. Diplomacy based on Interpretation, Rhetoric and Ethics. Philosophical Considerations” in Jovan Kurbalija and Hannah Slavik (ed.): Language and Diplomacy, MEDAC, Malta 2001, p. 139 – 152.
- For a conducive Policy Framework towards Small and Micro Enterprises Promotion, (co-editor) Friedrich Ebert Stiftung Publications, Islamabad 1995.
- Small Enterprises Promotion in Pakistan, Friedrich Ebert Stiftung Publications, (editor) Islamabad 1992.
- “Partenariat social et restructuration urbaine” in Espaces et Sociétés, Paris 1991, No 65 (Succès de la ville, crise de l’urbanité. Analyses à partir de situations non européennes).
- “Cooperación Internacional y Desarollo Urbano. Balance de las Experiencias Hechas” in Habitat Popular Urbano. Politica de Desarollo o Situación de Emergencia, Lausanne – Cochabamba, 1990.
- “Les sociétés anti-esclavagistes genevoises à la fin du XIXe siècle” in Genève-Afrique, t.20, 1986.
- “Christianisme et Territoire. Le cas des aumôniers de la Westindische Compagnie en Guinée aux XVIIe et XVIIIe siècles” in Nouvelle Revue Missionnaire, Lucerne, t. 38, 1982 / 1.
- Rhétorique et Théologique. Calvin: Le commentaire de l’Epître aux Romains , Paris, Beauchesne 1979, 400 p. (collection “Bibliothèque Théologique” No 54).
- “Le langage et le mythe” in Freiburger Zeitschrift für Philosophie und Theologie, 1966/67, N°3.