Mr. Csurgai was born in Hungary; he holds Swiss citizenship. He obtained his Doctorate from the University of Geneva; Degree in Political Science from the University of Concordia (Canada) and the University of Toulouse (France). He earned a Postgraduate Degree in European Studies from the European Institute at University of Geneva.
Dr. Csurgai worked as scientific collaborator at the Geneva International Peace Research Institute (GIPRI) and has taught international relations, geopolitics, and geoeconomics for undergraduate, master’s, and doctorate programs at different universities. Dr. Csurgai has organized seven international symposiums and in each case directed the publications of its proceedings. He has participated in several international research projects and has provided expertise to a number of international organizations and governments. He is co-founder of the Geneva Institute of Geopolitical Studies and Director of the School for International Training’s Geneva based University Programme in Multilateral Diplomacy.
- Introduction to Geopolitics
- Geopolitical Analysis
- Conflicts in Urban Zones, Editions Polémarque, Nancy, 2013
- Geopolitics and Demography, Gyula Csurgai (ed.)., Penthes editions, Geneva, 2013
- Geopolitical and Geo-Economic Analysis of the S.W.F. Issue: Sovereign Wealth Funds and Power Rivalries, LAP, Germany, 2011
- Les enjeux géopolitiques des ressources naturelles (Geopolitical Stakes of Natural Ressources), L’Age d’Homme, Lausanne, 2006
- La nation et ses territoires en Europe centrale Une approche géopolitique, (The Nation and its Territories in Central Europe, A Geopolitical Approach) Peter LANG, Bern, 2005.
Articles, book chapters and conference proceedings:
- “Geoeconomics and Competitive Intelligence and their Influences on Power Rivalries and Security”, National Defense University, Romania, Bucarest, 2013.
- “From Nation-state to the Multinational State: Thoughts on the Concept and Practice of Autonomy and Self-government in Europe from a Geopolitical point of view”, published in International Seminar on Representativeness and Legitimacy in Autonomy Negotiations, Kingdom of Morocco, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation, 2013
- “Le rôle de l’Asie dans la réorientation stratégique actuelle des Etats-Unis : quelques considérations géopolitiques » (The Role of Asia in the Actual Strategic Re-orientation of the United States : Some Geopolitical Considerations), Revue Militaire Suisse, July 2012.
- “Geopolitics, Economic Warfare and Access to Natural Resources”, in Access to Resources and the International Community, A. Vautravers (ed), Webster University, Geneva, 2011
- “Identity Conflicts, Nationalism and Geopolitics in Central and South-East Europe”, in Webster Security Forum, Webster University, Geneva, 2010
- “Geo-Economic Rivalries of States”, in Nigel Young (editor in chief), in The Oxford International Encyclopedia of Peace: Oxford, 2010.
- “Constant and Variable Factors of Geopolitical Analysis”, in Geopolitics: Schools of Thought, Method of Analysis and Case Studies, Gyula Csurgai (ed.), Edition de Penthes, Geneva, 2009
- “Sovereign Wealth Funds: Strategies of Geo-Economic Power Projections”, in Otto Hieronymi (ed.), Globalization and the Reform of the International and Banking and Monetary System, Palgrave Macmillan, 2009
- “Geopolitics, Geo-Economics and Competitive Intelligence in Power Projection Strategies of the State in the 21st Century”, in Conferência Nacional de Política Externa e Política Internacional – o Brasil no mundo que vem aí, Fundação Alexandre de Gusmão, Brasilia, 2008.
- “The Use of Geopolitical Approach in Analyzing Contemporary Conflicts”, inGlobalization of Security Trends and Perspectives, Webster University, Geneva, 2008.
- “L’idée républicaine en Europe Centrale” (Republican ideology in Central Europe) inL’idée républicaine dans le monde, Ed. Emmanuel Dupuy et Paul Baquiast , Harmattan, Paris 2007.
- “Composantes et caractéristiques de la stratégie de désinformation”, (Constituents and characteristics of disinformation strategies) in Revue Militaire Suisse, Lausanne, March-April 2000 .
- “Quelques considérations sur les facteurs géopolitiques de la Suisse” (Some Considerations on the Geopolitical Factors of Switzerland) , in Revue Militaire Suisse, Lausanne, 2006.
- “Les zones grises des Balkans”, (Grey Zones in the Balkans) in Les zones grises dans le monde d’aujourd’hui, L’Harmattan, Paris, 2006.