We provide the Geneva-based diplomatic and foreign-policy communities with a diverse range of diplomatic training modules. These include a series of lectures, discussions, short tailored made programmes and debates on pressing issues of international concern.
The Diplomatic Training courses can either be thematic or skills oriented in-situ (at the invitation of our partners) or at our own premises here in Geneva, which is a major centre for international cooperation. While relying on the expertise of our faculty, which includes world renowned professors, statesmen, stateswomen and ambassadors, we develop a methodology which is experience-sharing and practice oriented and courses are designed carefully to address cross-cutting issues and give a global understanding of the theme or skills at hence.
Please see below the outline of the following possibilities:
- Case Study Weekends
- Diplomatic Skills – Tailored Made Training
- Diplomatic Training – Accelerated EMIR (4 months)
- Winter School (2017 programme has already finished)
The training modules can be customized for junior to senior level diplomats and helps them to:
- (Better) Understand the dynamics of international politics and diplomatic issues;
- Develop practical skills necessary to master the challenges of 21st century diplomacy;
- Advance cross-cultural negotiation and communication skills;
- Develop competence in dealing with challenges at the global, regional and national levels;
Learn and incorporate tools, procedures and instruments to effectively manage complex projects and programmes in international and multicultural environments.
Diplomatic Skills: ‘Working with the UN’ – Case Study Weekends
This is a practice-oriented training at the heart of international Geneva for young professionals from the diplomatic service, international institutions, private sector and NGOs.
- Provides advanced in-depth knowledge and skills to grasp and navigate the complex realities of international relations and deal with practical situations encountered by diplomats in their everyday practice;
- Focuses on a variety of the most important global challenges and governance solutions in the areas from migration and security to trade negotiations and global health;
- Develops practical skills such as negotiation, working in teams, problem-solving, conflict resolution and cross-cultural communication, public speaking and leadership, through practical exercises and case studies;
3 Weekends (Friday afternoon from 14.00 – 17.15 and Saturday from 09.15 – 17.00)*
DOWNLOAD PROGRAMME HERE
|24 & 25 March 2017||
|28 & 29 April 2017||
|19 & 20 May 2017||
*It is possible to register for the case study weekends separately or to register for all three weekends.
Per case study weekend: CHF 500
Full package (3 weekends) : CHF 1’200
** (registration fee of CHF 100,- not included)
GSD now offers you a 20% discount for the fee of the Case Study Weekend(s)! To register for the Case Study Weekend(s), please fill out our online application form. In the form you can indicate if you would like to sign up for 1 or 2 weekends or the full package of 3 weekends. Please note that the deadline for registration is 1 week before the case study weekend(s) of your choice.
Diplomatic Skills – Tailor made trainings
This is a practice-oriented training at the heart of international Geneva for professionals from the diplomatic service, international institutions, private sector and NGOs (for groups). We offer organisations the opportunity to create a tailor made diplomatic skills program, based on their needs and focused on improving the practical skills of their employees to better face today’s challenges and issues.
The training will be created based on your specific needs and can include a series of lectures, discussions, simulations, short tailor-made programmes, case studies and debates on pressing issues of international concern. Some examples of the practical skills course we offer are:
- Diplomatic Protocol and Etiquette
- Working with the UN
- Negotiation techniques and simulations
- Rhetoric and eloquence: the art of public speaking and persuasion
- Human advocacy
Would you like to improve your cross-cultural negotiation or communication skills and develop competence in dealing with challenges at the global, regional and national level, please contact us for more information.
Flexible: from 2 days to 2 weeks. For example:
- 2 or 3 days – fulltime
- 1 or 2 weeks – fulltime
- Part-time, 3 weekends (Friday afternoon + Saturday full day)
The price for the tailor made programmes depend on the duration, location and content of the course.
Diplomatic Training ‘Accelerated EMIR’ – 4 months
This Diplomatic Training Programme is a special 4 months intensive training based on our current Master (MIR) & Executive Master Programme (EMIR).
The objective is to expose the theoretical underpinnings of International Relations and Global challenges and the concrete functioning of UN agencies (WTO; WHO etc.) and provide attendees with the practical skills required to operate in International Organizations and the Diplomatic Field.
- EMIR classes & Term Paper, 1 Semester, 18 ECTS
- Executive Winter or Summer School, 1 week full time, 4 ECTS
- 3 MIR classes, by the candidate’s’ choice*, 18 ECTS
- EMIR Thesis/Dissertation, 20 ECTS
1 Semester (4 months), on-campus:
- 8 Evening classes per Semester (every second week of Semester, Tuesdays, 17.00 – 19.00)
- 3 Case Study Weekends (3 weekends per Semester, include Friday afternoon, 14.00 – 17.15 & full Saturday, 9.00 – 17.00)
- Thesis: off-campus