GSD Diplomatic Training Options
We provide the Geneva-based diplomatic and foreign-policy communities with a diverse range of diplomatic training modules. These include a series of lectures, discussions, short tailored made programmes and debates on pressing issues of international concern. The sessions can be created for professionals based on the market needs (Executive Winter School, Case Study Weekends (please see this page), or the Executive Master Programme) or Tailormade based on your organisation’s specific needs.
The Tailormade Diplomatic Training courses can either be thematic or skills oriented in-situ (at the invitation of our partners) or at our own premises here in Geneva, which is a major centre for international cooperation. While relying on the expertise of our faculty, which includes world renowned professors, statesmen, stateswomen and ambassadors, we develop a methodology which is experience-sharing and practice oriented and courses are designed carefully to address cross-cutting issues and give a global understanding of the theme or skills at hence.
The training modules can be customised for junior to senior level diplomats and helps them to:
- (Better) Understand the dynamics of international politics and diplomatic issues;
- Develop practical skills necessary to master the challenges of 21st century diplomacy;
- Advance cross-cultural negotiation and communication skills;
- Develop competence in dealing with challenges at the global, regional and national levels.
Learn and incorporate tools, procedures and instruments to effectively manage complex projects and programmes in international and multicultural environments.
Case Study Weekends – Spring 2018
This is a practice-oriented training at the heart of international Geneva for young professionals from the diplomatic service, international institutions, private sector and NGOs. The training will take place during the following weekends: 23 & 24 March, 4 & 5 May and 25 & 26 May 2018.
- Provides advanced in-depth knowledge and skills to grasp and navigate the complex realities of international relations and deal with practical situations encountered by diplomats in their everyday practice;
- Focuses on a variety of the most important global challenges and governance solutions in the areas from migration and security to trade negotiations and global health;
- Develops practical skills such as negotiation, working in teams, problem-solving, conflict resolution and cross-cultural communication, public speaking and leadership, through practical exercises and case studies;
3 Weekends (Friday afternoon from 14.00 – 17.15 and Saturday from 09.15 – 17.00)*
Please see the below overview with the themes and courses per weekend.
Programme Case Study Weekends – Spring 2018
|23 & 24 March 2018||Case Study Weekend I: Emerging Methods in Strategic Foresight and Risk Governance in the 21st Century
|4 & 5 May 2018||Case Study Weekend II: Transforming Global Governance for the 21st Century: International Institutions & Rising Powers (I)
|25 & 26 May 2018||Case Study Weekend III: Transforming Global Governance for the 21st Century: International Institutions & Rising Powers (II)
Registration Case Study Weekend(s)
The courses will take place on Fridays from 14h00 – 17h15 and on Saturdays from 09h15 – 17h00.
To register for the Case Study Weekend(s), please fill out our online registration form. You can indicate if you would like to sign up for 1, 2 or the full package of all 3 weekends.
Per case study weekend: CHF 500,-
Full package (all 3 weekends) : CHF 1.200,-
* (registration fee CHF 100,- not included)
You will earn 3 ECTS per Case Study Weekend
Diplomatic Skills – Tailor made trainings
This is a practice-oriented training at the heart of international Geneva for professionals from the diplomatic service, international institutions, private sector and NGOs (for groups). We offer organisations the opportunity to create a tailor made diplomatic skills program, based on their needs and focused on improving the practical skills of their employees to better face today’s challenges and issues.
The training will be created based on your specific needs and can include a series of lectures, discussions, simulations, short tailor-made programmes, case studies and debates on pressing issues of international concern. Some examples of the practical skills course we offer are:
- Diplomatic Protocol and Etiquette
- Working with the UN
- Negotiation techniques and simulations
- Rhetoric and eloquence: the art of public speaking and persuasion
- Human advocacy
Would you like to improve your cross-cultural negotiation or communication skills and develop competence in dealing with challenges at the global, regional and national level, please contact us for more information.
Flexible: from 2 days to 2 weeks. For example:
- 2 or 3 days – fulltime
- 1 or 2 weeks – fulltime
- Part-time, 3 weekends (Friday afternoon + Saturday full day)
The price for the tailor made programmes depend on the duration, location and content of the course.